Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Angela's Ashes & My Sacred Heart



I have been a fan of reading ever since I discovered PayLess Books - a place where I can purchase 2nd hand books at 1/2 the retail price! Anyway, I was there one Thursday afternoon and after browsing the shelves for sometime I decided to head home because there is not a book that caught my interest. As I was about to leave I peered into the "Promotion Section", where books can be bought for as low as RM5. And there it caught my eye - ANGELA'S ASHES by Frank McCourt (Hardcover) in good condition, retailing for only RM5! Back then I do not know much about Frank McCourt except that he was a Pulitzer Prize winner, but I just bought it anyway because of it's very affordable price. Boy am I glad I have bought the book. It was one of the best literature I have ever read. Refreshing, thought provoking and insightful! ;)

ANGELA'S ASHES is a memoir by Frank McCourt about his life - from before he was born and until the day he left for the States. In this book one can sense the bitterness of the life the McCourts led; poverty, social rejection, family abandonment and of course - the pains of growing up. Strangely, these "bitterness" are cleverly laced with humour by Frank. :) Oh yes, another reason for me to love this book is the million and one Catholic elements it possessed. haha. :) Honestly, ANGELA'S ASHES inspired & motivated me to take up a long awaited Catholic devotion - the Sacred Heart of Jesus. :) The weird thing is, there was one night I was having this thought of having the Sacred Heart Devotion and the very next day a friend of mine from Christian Fellowship - Emily; gave me a prayer card of ... (yup you guessed it) - the Sacred Heart Devotion! She told me she found the card the night before (which was the very same night I thought about taking up the devotion) and thought of me. She contemplated on whether to give me the prayer card of Saint Francis of Asisi or the Sacred Heart of Jesus but at last she decided to give the prayer card of the Sacred Heart of Jesus! I was totally amazed! This was truly a sign from God for me to take up this devotion. :)

Praise God.

No comments: