Sunday, November 28, 2004

Do you believe in God?

There are times in my life where I doubted the existence of God. These times of my life were when I was at my spiritual lowest. The reason to my doubting is non-intellectual, rather it is because of me not wanting to face certain issues in my life that needed correction... a.k.a. repentance. If there is God, then He is the one that I needed to be accountable to. I would not like to spend too many lines writing; why I believe in a Christian God rather than: say... the Greek gods, so I would need you guys to trust me that I really have strong arguments for it.

So moving on. As I grew gradually in my faith-walk I was convicted of God's existence. In the beginning it was just because that I could 'feel' God's presence, unfortunately or fortunately (depends on how you view it) as I mature in faith these 'feelings' became seemingly non-existence or probably I was 'immune' to it. And I have to be independent from these 'feelings' in order to believe in God, which was rather tough at first.


Then I heard an argument for God by a friend who gave a talk at Lifeline which goes:

Let's have this scenario. Assuming you have never seen a camera your entire life and I present you one. You look at it's complexity: the buttons, the lens, the body.. all crafted with precision. And you ask me: "Where did you get it?". I answer: "Well, I found on the ground...". Which sounded probable. And you ask me again: "Who assembled it?". This time I replied: "Well, it assembled on it's own by chance!". Would you believe what I say? Most people would say a definite "NO". Why? Because to create something as complex as a camera require an intelligent designer, ya?

Now, our human eye is far more complex than a camera. Don't you think it also need an "intelligent designer"? And who is this "intelligent designer"?

Answer: God.

That convicted me of the existence of God - BIG TIME. Since then, for me to deny the existence of God is f0r me to be either arrogant or stupid.

That's why
I believe.

No comments: