Tuesday, March 16, 2004

My Encounter at the Overhead Bridge


Was at Library today and at 1535hours, I received Jo's email on core and cell group leaders meeting tonight at 8PM and I felt really tired and lazy to go because my trials is in a weeks time, plus I know Jo would understand. :) So at 1700hours or so, I was at home in my room chilling out: surfing the net and resting on the floor because I had not washed up yet (not comfortable sleeping on my bed with a stinky and sweaty body) hehe. So as I chilled out, time passed... and it's already 1830hours and there is this urge in me to go to the meeting, and I attribute this "urge" to the Holy Spirit; who prompts me often to do the right thing. :)

After some prompting by the Holy Spirit, I decided; "Yes, Lord I will go".. well I didn't actually said that, but I felt that way. ;) I switch off my laptop, the power socket and the lights & fan, grab my bag of leftover Gardenia wholemeal bread and went on my way to SS2 to take the Bus #12. As I was chomping down on my leftover bread.. I was having this naughty thought: "What happens if I throw bread on the cars from the top overhead bridge?"... but of course I did not realise this stupid thought of mine. :P

Anyway, as I was walking up the steps of the overhead bridge, which by the way connects Damansara Jaya to SS2. At the far end of the bridge, I see a wanderer. He looks really haggard, with long hair and tattered clothes, and he looks like he's from either Myanmar or Vietnam and I remembered I saw him a few days back along the streets of SS2; in front of Salvation. I was kinda afraid at first... because who knows? he might mug me! But then I felt pity for him. My right hand clutched the bag with remainding 2 pieces of bread and the Spirit prompted me to offer him this bread. But I had mixed feelings... a bit of shyness and fear, and as I walk up to him my mind is making a decision on whether to give the bread or to just leave it for myself.

I reached the end of the bridge and I was just next to him. It was as though the fear and the shyness had gone and my right hand stretched out to him with the bag of bread, offering it as a sign of good will. He looked at me with confusion and held on to the bread. It was all silent communication, because I do not know what language he speaks. I nodded my head twice to let him know that this bread is a sign of good will from me and he accepted it. :)

I turned and I walked down the steps to the streets of SS2, towards the bus stop.

------

I contemplated on what had happened and I felt that whatever that happened was truly not by chance but by God's choosing. I don't usually buy bread and keep it overnight and at that point of time, I really did not feel like going for the meeting, but I went anyway. Consider this: If I had not decided to come for the meeting, the man would not have received the bread and probably go hungry. I strongly believe all this is the work of God.

The Lord reminded me that I am truly blessed and I have all that I need and all that I want and need should be HIM only. The Lord also put me in the man's shoes and made me realised that this person really needs help and I should do my part in helping him. And also there are many others like him that needs the care and concern of the society, even though they are aliens. And yes, I was feeling rather guilty from that thought of throwing bread from the top of the overhead bridge, when there are multitudes who need to be fed.

Let us ask ourselves, do we feel blessed? Or are we lamenting to God for not giving us a "better" life? Look at the lives of others & then see how much better off you are. St. Peter (our first pope) once said to the crippled beggar "I have neither silver nor gold, but what I do have I give you.." (Acts 3:6) Now, are we ready to say this to the less fortunate around us?

Peace <><

No comments: