Tuesday, January 25, 2005

The Deliberate Intention of God

"Does God really care?"

I believe this is one the many questions about God that we ask most often - yes... including me. ;) It was last week or so, at a silent retreat that I stumbled upon the answer to this question but in the form of a question.


"what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?"
(Psalm 8:4, NIV)


And I thought to myself:

OK, why David finds 'mindful' synonymous with 'care'?

Why is it that when God thinks of us (i.e. mindful); He cares for us?

I can think of someone, say my enemy but that doesn't mean I care for him/her!

So as I spent my quiet time meditating upon this verse, the Holy Spirit revealed to me these insights:


Essentially we are made from nothing. Yeah, I know the bible says that we came from dust. But where is soil from? :)Everything in this universe is willed by God. Here the word "will" means "deliberate intention". God deliberately intended to have this universe. When God "deliberately intends" stuff, He thinks.

Unlike us, His thoughts materialized and viola! - Creation. But it doesn't stop there. To keep Creation as it is (i.e. materialized), God has to remember it constantly (i.e. mindful).

From the universe to the galaxies. From the galaxies to the solar systems. From the solar systems to the planets. From the planets to Earth. From Earth to the people living in it. From the people living in it to the basic components that they were made of. Not to mention various itty bitty details (i.e. law of gravity, boiling points, human/animal/plant anatomy, etc...)Goodness! To sustain all of the above God has to remember them ALL constantly! AWESOME!

When I recall the times where I have sinned. I feel guilty, for the fact that God still thinks of me even during the act of sin! Imagine your mum caught you stealing money from her purse, heart-broken she still clothes and feeds you... On the other hand, when I feel really down and I felt that no one cares about me anymore. I can be sure that still God does. Why?

Because He alone sustains my existence. And I still exist.

That alone shows He cares. :)

No comments: