Sunday, February 27, 2005

Christian Self-realization

Mahatma Gandhi was once asked this question: "What do you think is the one thing which hinders the spread of Christianity in India?" Without hesitation, he answered: "Christians."

Self-righteousness. I struggle with this a lot, especially when I am evangelising. Often without realising, I will throw "intellectual" questions as well as quoting from famous people to challenge the other person's beliefs. I thought that by throwing them compelling questions & quotes was the only effective method of evangelism. Honestly, I can tell you that I was more concerned for the person's soul than for the person as a whole. Little did I know, I was losing the very person I was trying to reach out to and I come across as a person who likes to make people feel small.

I came to the realization when my aunt whom I was evangelising to told me one day: "I don't think you are there yet." (i.e. found God) Initially I was a little offended by that seemingly judgmental comment, but as I reflected further I found that she was right: I was not being Christ-like.

I know that God is still not done with me (i.e. I am a "work" in progress) and I pray that as I am continually being molded by Him, God will help the people whom I come in contact with be patient with me, as well as to other Christians who are also continually being molded by God.

But if we are the body
Why aren't His arms reaching?
Why aren't His hands healing?
Why aren't His words teaching?
And if we are the body
Why aren't His feet going?
Why is His love not showing them there is a way?
There is a way
Jesus is the way

(c) Casting Crowns - Casting Crowns (2003)

No comments: