Saturday, February 19, 2005

Lunar New Year Love-Hate Relationship

When I was in primary school, I had a love-hate relationship with the Lunar New Year. I loved it because it is THE time of the year where I had the opportunity to stock-up money in bulk and of course, the opportunity to stock myself up in bulk. ;) I hated the Lunar New Year as much as I loved it, because during the period of 15 days I had to observe various superstitions and taboos.

Among the superstitions/taboos I was told...

  • Do not wash your hair lest your luck gets washed away
  • Do not sweep lest you sweep away all your luck
  • Pulling a long face, risk a bleak year ahead
  • Do not say negative things or negative "sounding" words, else it will come true! (e.g. "book" in Mandarin is pronounced as "shu". The word "lose" shares the same pronounciation, thus the "negativeness" of the word)
Honestly, I hated the Lunar New Year because I was afraid of it. I was afraid that my "inauspicious" action(s) will result in my own downfall or worse: the downfall of my family members. So during the Lunar New Year, I will be extra-careful with the words I use or the actions I take. And it was 15-days-of-stress and I felt trapped. I was in bondage.

As far as I could remember, this bondage lasted until my Confirmation year (which I had my first memorable encounter with God). In that year alone, I realised that even if I broke a mirror, crossed the path of a black cat or was born on Friday the 13th; my life still goes on unaffected because I chose not to be bound by these superstitions/taboos of the world.

In short, I chose Christ.

Honestly, now that I have done away with all these taboos and superstitions; I find celebrating the Lunar New Year more... - enjoyable. I spend less time worrying and more time basking in the pleasure and company of my family. :)

Have a Blessed & Joyous Lunar New Year!

No comments: