Sunday, May 07, 2006

"Why I am not a priest?"

I was requested by Wei Fen to write a post on this topic. :) However I believe the correct question should be: "Why I am not yet a priest?". ;) Of course, as with most Catholic males, I must admit that I have entertained thoughts of becoming a priest. But there was only one period in my life which I remember that I have seriously thought of joining the priesthood. That period was when the Catholic church went "popeless", as it were; when John Paul II died. You see, I was worried that the next Pope would be one whom I would not see eye to eye. So I figured that the best way to solve this dilemma was to be the Pope myself. Starting with priesthood, then to becoming the bishop, and then a cardinal before finally being selected as the Pope! However that problem was solved when Ratzinger became Pope Benedict XVI. Hehe. :)

But I confess, every now and then there were fleeting thoughts of joining the priesthood. I must say, priesthood is certainly a tempting career to consider (Just in case you were wondering: I am not in anyway being sarcastic). Job security, you get taken care of rather well; FREE food and shelter and cool perks; parishioners vying to buy you gifts and your own "church" car to boot! Believe me, I am not exaggerating. :)

What is stopping me then? Number one, I have yet to finish my degree of four-years and this is only the start of my second year, and I plan to continue until (at least and hopefully!) my Masters. Read: still a long way to go. And I really really want to be a psychologist! Unless the priesthood is willing to fund my studies in psychology... *Grin*

Number two, I have my family to think of. I am the eldest of my siblings and if I turn a priest who is going to support my family when my parents grow old and weary? Plus, I feel really bad becoming a priest when they have invested in me so much, I know that education ain't cheap.

Number three, and most important one of all: I do not know if God is calling me to be a priest. My cell phone's on but God never called. ;) Seriously, I am not sure which vocation God is calling me to. I love the Jesuits, I think they are really a cool bunch and if I were to be a priest I'll definitely join the Society of Jesus. Funny, I do not remember the topic of marriage ever crossed my mind... Being single seem more appealing. Then again, I am not sure.

So yea, these are the reasons why I am not yet a priest. I think my next serious consideration will be when Pope Benedict XVI dies.

'Till then... ;)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

O_o Imagine one day we all address you as Father Celestine (or Brother Celestine). And I am AMAZED that being not single isn't on your agenda! It's just that it's different from most guys I know, who do see themselves getting hitched eventually.

If I were male, I would seriously consider priesthood too, but, I'm female, and I dunwanna masuk convent. Prolly have another calling. :D I guess it IS a matter of whether God calls you or not. I guess it takes lots of time and prayer and conversations with God to be certain that you're being called there.

It's a wonderful vocation, and a challenging one at that. And IF you're called there, I'm sure God will provide a way for your parents to be looked after next time. Just keep on doing what you're doing first. My friend wanted to enter the seminary, but a priest told him that he should obtain work experience first. I think that's good advice, because the more life experiences you have, the better sheperd you'll be, coz you'll know the flock you're leading even better.

God bless, come what may.

Unknown said...

Oh, btw. You veli ambitious lehh.. Pope summo. :D :D :D But, did you hear the prophecy of Malachi that the current pope is the last real pope? Tentatively?

5xmom.com said...

Wow, u aim really high. LOL. The other day there were 4 young men in our church who are on their way to becoming priests, an accountant, a lawyer (no joke!), a hotelier and a teacher. I feel so happy to see them and hope at least one of my kid choose priesthood. Hahaha, I got many sons so I can afford a one or two who choose not to give me grandkids. Next time when we pray for vocation, I will target you in my prayers. And remember me when you are in Rome!

Celestine said...

Lilian: Whoa, thank you for telling me that we are getting four more priests! I guess that justifies my delay to the priesthood... Hehe ;)

Char: I think I have a rather "priestly" sorta name; "Celestine". *Grins* Yeap, I heard of the Prophecy of St. Malachy, as a matter of fact I've blogged 'bout it.
You can find the answer you are looking for HERE and HERE. Enjoy! :D

Anonymous said...

Celestine, Vocation is a lifelong process. Some are called to the priesthood and religious life, others to the married life and others to the life of a single lay person. Each one are contributing to the work of God in this Huge vineyard of God.

The desire to be a priest, is in a way a form of Calling by God, to say that you have not been called by God is rather inaccurate, as God's creation, we are called by God the moment we are created, but to what form does the calling takes, only discernment will tell you.

In this materialistic world, we tend to think of our material duties before our spiritual duties. A common answer I give my young friends, when they say that they are don't feel that they are called by God is that, they are so engrossed listening to their IPod with their earphones that they are so absorbed in their own world that they do not see the world around them.

Foster the thought of becoming a priest, talk to a priest and seek their advise and counsel. True, your studies is important, but, indeed if you excell in your studies, the Church, if they find you suitable a candidate, will not hesitate to send you further to pursue your studies. Like I said, talk to your priest on the desire to serve God's people and listen most importantly to what your heart tells you.

I entered the seminary and following a period of discernment, I discovered that perhaps a life as a Diocesan Priest was not for me and I requested for permission to leave the seminary. The seminary is not the "one" way place to becoming a priest only. It is a period where you contemplate on your vocation, on your life and on your mission in this world in the presence of God and His Ministers. There is nothing wrong in entering the seminary to discern the true intention of your heart and leave in the process if you feel that indeed you are not suited for it. I am not sure of the Seminary process in West Malaysia, but over here in East Malaysia, we allow, working adults and young people to come and stay in the seminary for a week or two to live the life as a seminarian, going through the studies scope and the daily routines. Perhaps the Fathers at SFX can tell you more on this matter.

Be brave and listen to your inner voices. Do what you feel is right and most importantly, speak to a priest about this matter.

Oh Dear!! I think I have written far too much :) well, feel free to write to me, as you have my email address if you want to talk more on this matter.

Celestine said...

samlouie: No prob. :)

quavadis: Thank you for the thoughtful post. :) For now, I think I'll stick to what I've been currently "called" i.e. to be a student. ;)

Anonymous said...

O.o Waahhh...QV, now only I see who u are. :) Good answer QV....joining the seminary for discernment doesnt mean u are stuck in there for good. Takes a LONG time and at certain intervals, you get to decide if u want out or not. maybe ur time has not yet come, celestine.

and if you do get ur calling n ignore it (assuming lar), u'll be surprise at how strong the urge is to return to that calling. you'll know it when it happens lar, thats all i can say. i also know someone like QV, he joined....stayed there for a coupla months n decided no, priesthood wasnt his calling but he still continues evangelising n looking around for stuff to do which is related of course. :)