Saturday, April 28, 2007

[Book Review #1] Father Joe: The Man Who Saved My Soul by Tony Hendra

Synopsis: Tony Hendra's memoir about his 40-year friendship with Father Joseph Warrilow (a.k.a. Father Joe), a Catholic Benedictine Monk from Quarr Abbey. Ironically this friendship which helped preserve Hendra's soul throughout his rather messy 40 years of life, was initiated by an act of sin - Hendra's affair with a married woman when he was 14.

Comments: I like every bit of this book except when it came to Hendra's career, where it just seems too messy and draggy to keep up with. I love its fun take on certain aspects of the Catholic faith, the breath of fresh air it gives with regards to the character of God and the little morsels of Father Joe wisdom which gets you thinking.

My favorite excerpt from the book was an extract itself by Meister Eckhart: "When the Father laughs at the Son and the Son laughs back at the Father, that laughter gives pleasure, that pleasure gives joy, that joy gives love, and that love is the Holy Spirit". Not sure how theologically accurate is that, but it did help give me a different perspective on the Trinity.

Though I admit there are some parts which I find rather irreverent (such as Jessica Christ) but it's in context, so I'll let it pass. ;)

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

---

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you're touching on such good reads, i'll give one my own.

"Help Yourself: The Obsession with Satan's Oldest Lie" by Stephanie Forbes. Totally riveting.

Not exactly a Christian Living kinda book, but a critique of modern living today, our reverance for success.

But no, you probably might not be able to find it on Amazon. I got it at my church's bookstore.

Celestine said...

kitt: sounds good. thanks for the recommendation! :)