Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Friary / The Omen

Technically I was at the friary and it was different from what I had expected it would be but I enjoyed it still. This was what I gained (in no particular order):
            • Learnt how to discern my vocation
            • Made new friends
            • Got to know my existing friends better
            • Experienced mediation with the whole of creation just as St. Francis of Assisi did
            • Got to know the life of the Franciscans and the different charisms of each order
            • Had a good rest and solid prayer sessions
I still have yet to discern my vocation because it is a PROCESS, well I guess I am still young and when the time comes I'll know. :)

---

Oh yeah, I watched the Omen this afternoon with Tessa and Su-Lynn at GSC OneU. Thank goodness we paid only RM6 each, the movie sucked BIG-TIME: It was very predictable (although, I have forgotten how the original was like), cheap scares abound (and I got startled only ONCE throughout the movie) and the actors were not convincing enough (therapists breaking confidentiality, hello?)

QUESTIONS: What's up with Catholic priests/bishops acting like some ignorant Christian fundamentalists? I.e. using bible verses to support the fundamentalist notion that current tragedies (e.g. 9/11, tsunami, etc. ) are signs of the End Times. And what's up with the Final Destination moments?

In comparison to Emily Rose, this movie would have scored 1 out of 5. On it's own... well, I give it a 1.5 out of 5. The 0.5 is for effort. See? I am being appreciative.

Now someone please recommend me a really creepy movie! *sigh* It's so hard to get a good scare nowadays. :P

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The scariest movie I've ever watched is 'Dark water' English version, Lol. Or that programme on Discovery channel about spiders. =P

I thought it's the ladies who pay RM6 on Tuesdays. ?

Anonymous said...

They aren't fundamentalist notions.

The Bible does mention how the End of Times will come and to any regular Christians, the similarities are there and hard to ignore sometimes.

Just that we don't go around crazily proclaiming that Christ will come tomorrow and all that.

Celestine said...

pat: "Dark Water" hmm... I should check them out sometime. Mon - Fri RM6 for students. :)

Mei: Hi! Yea the Bible did mention how will End Times come... However I believe that St. John wrote Revelations with the ancient Christians in mind, not the Americans. ;) I do acknowledge that what's in the Bible can be applied to our daily lives, but I am careful not to be too egocentric as to think that natural disasters and work of evil men are signs that Bible prophecies fulfilled.

Su-Lyn said...

The Omen is a good remake of the original. :-) Though it's not scary, the performances are excellent, especially Strieber (Mr Thorn) and Farrow (the nanny).

As to the end times, well, I'm not gonna spend all my energy arguing about it as I myself aren't really sure when they're coming. All I care is that people need to hear the gospel before they die, whether it's because their time is up, or because of the end times.