Thursday, December 21, 2006

Book Review: "And When Did You Last See Your Father?" by Blake Morrison

Ever since the start of the holidays I have been on a reading streak to compensate for my lack of reading consistently for nearly 6 months. Because I read so little my English deteriorated. (*sigh*)

Anyway yesterday I have finally done reading Blake Morrison's And When Did You Last See Your Father? (AWDYLSYF); a memoir about his dying father - make no mistake, this is not a mere eulogy, it's also a character assessment of his father during his living years. He writes with no holds barred; happy, sad, good and bad. He's so honest that there are parts where I read and it made me cringe or made me read it again (just to be sure that I read it correctly).

I've read similar memoirs such as Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes, which I enjoyed very much. Compared to AWDYLSYF I prefer Angela's Ashes because of McCourt's writing style. But Morrison's writing ain't bad either and his book will make you ponder the very question which became the book's title: and when did you last see your father? It did for me, but that's a post for another day. :)

No comments: